On Mastodon, you can customise your notifications to adjust what triggers a notification to appear and what kind of notification it provides. The notification options you have depend on what you are using to access Mastodon:
- On your server’s website, go to your Notifications column and click on the slider icon in the top right corner to open the notification settings. Note that there are even more options available if you scroll this settings menu down a bit.
- On the official app, go to the main timeline and click on the cog icon ⚙️ in the top right corner, then click on Notifications.
- Third party apps will have various different interfaces for customising notifications, but they’ll usually be in their settings sections.
Different ways of accessing Mastodon will give you different options for customising notifications, for example the website lets you adjust which notifications cause a sound.
What about email notifications?
Email notifications on Mastodon are a totally separate system that happens to have a similar name. To adjust your email notifications:
- Log in through your server’s website
- Click ⚙️ Preferences
- If you’re on the desktop website, click Notifications on the left of the screen. If you’re on the mobile website click ☰ in the top right and then Notifications.
- Choose your email notification settings. If you don’t want to receive any emails, untick all the boxes.
- Click the Save Changes button in the top right corner of the screen