If you run your own Mastodon server, you can import pre-written server-level blocklists from sites such as oliphant.social ⧉. Once you have a blocklist downloaded, here’s how to add it to your own server:
- Log in on your server’s website using your admin account.
- Go to Preferences > Moderation > Federation
- Click the Import button at the top
- Browse for the blocklist’s .csv file, then click Upload
- You will be presented with a list of servers to block. If there are servers with existing connections to your server, they will be automatically unticked. If you want to include these in the block, tick them.
- When you want to implement the blocklist, click Import in the top right corner of the list and click OK to confirm.
Once the list is successfully imported, the blocks will appear alongside your existing blocks. If necessary, you can remove blocks from the list just like any manually added block.
Will it blocks people that have already followed me, or that I already follow?
Before any blocks happen, the blocklist import process will highlight servers on the list that your server already has connections to. You will be given the option of either going ahead with blocking those servers, or leaving them off the blocklist. By default it will leave them off the blocklist, unless you choose to add them back in.
If you block a particular server, then all the follows and followers from that particular server will lose their connections to your server.